Tourist Visa in Thailand

Thousands of travelers visit Thailand every year for long-term diving training, meditation study, Muay Thai courses and language lessons. These travelers need to apply for a Education Visa in Thailand.

The visa allows a maximum stay of 60 days. Travelers can apply for the visa online. A valid passport or travel document is required.

Visa Exemption

Visa exemptions let visitors from certain countries enter Thailand without a visa. The list of eligible countries can be found on the Thai Immigration website. To be granted an exemption, you will need to have a valid passport with at least another six months before expiration. You will also need to show proof of sufficient funds for your trip.

Tourists with a visa exemption are allowed to stay in the country for 30 days. If you want to stay longer, you will need to apply for a visa on arrival or purchase a single entry tourist visa in advance.

The visa waiver is aimed at boosting tourism, which accounts for about 48% of the economy, with China the biggest source market. But critics say the waiver could create a loophole that call center gangs and other criminal groups use to enter the country. This would stifle economic growth, say officials. Virender Singh from Delhi, who was given an exemption for his trip, said that the process was simple and quick.

Visa On Arrival

If you are planning a trip to Thailand, you should be aware that there are different visa options depending on your passport country of origin. Visa On Arrival is available for people from 64 countries who meet specific criteria and can be obtained upon arrival at the designated immigration checkpoints.

This type of visa is similar to a tourist visa issued in advance at the Embassy, but it can be purchased at the airport or other entry points. It is a bit more expensive and requires that you have the necessary travel documents on hand.

This visa will allow you to stay in Thailand for 30 days, if entering by air or 15 days if arriving overland. Visitors who wish to extend their stay beyond this period must go to an Immigration Office to do so. Overstaying a visa can result in fines and will also negatively impact future international travel. This is why it is important to plan your trip carefully and make sure you have all the proper documentation.


The Single-Entry visa allows you to enter and exit Thailand once during a period of three months. You can stay for up to 60 days during the period, but if you leave the country even if you haven’t used all the days on your visa, you can’t re-enter.

You must have a proof of onward travel when entering Thailand. This doesn’t have to be a flight ticket back to the country you came from, but it can be a ticket to another international destination, including short-haul international flights such as Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia, Hanoi in Vietnam or Changi in Singapore.

Immigration officials rarely check your onward travel tickets, but they do need to know you don’t plan to overstay the length of your visa. Having an onward ticket is your best bet to avoid being refused entry at the border or airport. The entry requirements for foreigners have been gradually loosened since the start of covid-19, but many tourists still need to present an onward ticket in order to be allowed to enter Thailand.


The Multiple-Entry Visa is available from the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in your home country and will allow you to enter and exit as many times as you want within a 6-month period. However, there are fines for overstaying the time on an entry stamp so you should always try to leave before the time on your visa expires.

The requirements for the METV vary from embassy to embassy. It’s important to contact your home country’s Embassy or Consulate for the latest details. For example, some embassies require a copy of your onward plane ticket while others don’t.

The METV is ideal for those who want to stay in Thailand for a long time or travel extensively around the region. It’s also a good choice for medical tourists who need to visit Thailand regularly for ongoing treatments.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More Posts

Thai “O” Marriage Visa

The Thai marriage visa is also called the Non immigrant “O” Visa is for those who want to visit Thailand as they have a Thai wife or Thai family such as a child living in

Read More ...

Border Crossing Points

These are the international border crossing points in Thailand. We have also listed which border crossing points can issue a visa on arrival. Note that if you are crossing a land border you will only

Read More ...

Visa on Arrival

Depending on your nationality you will be limited to a certain amount of days when you arrive on a foreign flight in Thailand. Crossing a land border in Thailand only gets you 15 days stay.

Read More ...

Thai Retirement Visa

The retirement visa for Thailand is also known as the “OA” visa. This is a 3-month visa when you enter Thailand and you need to extend this visa in Thailand for 1 year. This visa

Read More ...

Single Entry Business Visa

This is the most common Thai visa issued if you are wanting to work in Thailand. This Thai Visa is normally issued for 3 months and you need to apply for a Thai work permit

Read More ...

90 Day Reporting

If you are holding onto a work permit from the business visa or have a 1 year marriage visa or for that matter a 1 year retirement visa then you need to report your address

Read More ...

Immigration Lawyers

If you are moving to Thailand to live with your wife, or decided to retire in Thailand, contact Law Firm for more information and assistance with regards to your immigration plans to Thailand. There are

Read More ...

Related Resources